One of my favorite types of cuisines to prepare is Italian. I just love the flavors and aromas that come from creating Italian food. Of course Italian cuisine is typically loaded with gluten. Italians love their bread, pasta and pizza so cooking without the gluten can be a challenge. This recipe is already gluten-free and is a tasty way to prepare chicken during the summertime.
I have visions of visiting Tuscany, Venice and Rome someday, but today I’ll share this deliziosa chicken pesto recipe with all of you.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cups lightly packed baby spinach leaves (about 2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to medium high heat. Spray the grill pan or outdoor grill with non-stick cooking spray. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken until cooked through, about 4-5 minutes per side.
Combine the spinach, pine nuts, lemon juice, and lemon peel in a processor. Lightly pulse. With the machine running, gradually add 1/3 cup of the oil, blending until the mixture is creamy. Add a good amount of salt and pulse. Stir in the Parmesan. Season the pesto with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
Spread the pesto over each piece of chicken and serve